top of page
DANCE CLASS DETAILS & DESCRIPTIONS
- Our preschool/kindergarten program is one of a kind! This is a 30 minute class split with 15 minutes of ballet and 15 minutes of tap. Your child is sure to walk out of class with their head high, confident, happy, and proud of what they learned!
ITSY BITSY ACADEMY
- Our Isty Bisty program is new to APA as of this year! This program is for kiddos in preschool through third grade. This is a 10 week 'mini-session', held on Saturday mornings/evenings. We offer a specific class for preschool kindergartners. This class is 30 minutes, split with 15 minutes of ballet and 15 minutes of tap. For our first through 3rd graders we offer ballet, tap, jazz, and musical theater. Each class/style is 30 minutes. The Itsy Bitsy program does not perform but your child will be given the choice to roll over into our fall session classes which do perform. With that being said, depending on the time your child rolls over into the fall session classes they may OR may not perform due to costuming details. All shoes for this program must be purchased from our boutique.
- Ballet is a graceful, technical, flowy, and beautiful style of dance! This style of dance requires a lot of technique training, strength training, and flexibility training. We start students as young as three years old and we require that shoes are purchased from our boutique.
- Pointe is a beautiful and graceful style of dance yet it requires a lot of strength, flexibility, ballet training, and the dancer must be completely done growing. Many studios dangle pointe shoes in front of dancers who are truly not ready to go up on pointe. Although pointe is an exciting and amazing accomplishment, it's not for everyone. We pride ourselves in making sure our dancers are truly ready to go up on pointe. If dancers are given pointe shoes too early, with incorrect training, the impacts on their body are immense! Pointe requires a lot of strength and if a dancer goes up too early, they can have serious problems down the road. We require our students to take a minimum of three ballet classes a week, take one year of pre-pointe, and each student must be done growing/started puberty. All dance shoes must be purchased from our boutique and every student needs teacher approval before they are allowed to go up on pointe.
- Tap is a very upbeat, fun, and exciting style of dance! Students who take tap classes will learn rhythm, musicality, syncopation, tap technique, and music counting. We start students as young as three years old and we require the shoes to be purchased from our boutique.
- Jazz is an energetic, technique based, upbeat, and thrilling style of dance! Although jazz does involve a lot of technique and strength training, it does have loose and released movements. We start students as young as first grade and we require the shoes to be purchased from our boutique.
- Hip hop is a strong, upbeat, exciting, energetic, style of dance! This style is lower to the ground and can involve break dancing. Hip hop is an extension of jazz so we require our students to take a jazz class on top of a hip hop class to get the proper foundation. We start students as young as first grade and we require the shoes to be purchased from our boutique.
- Contemporary is a flowy, controlled, technical, and expressive style of dance! Contemporary is an extension of jazz and ballet so we require our students to take a jazz and ballet class in order for them to get the proper foundation. We've been told by many professional instructors that requiring students to take a ballet and jazz when they are enrolled in contemporary is the only way to ensure students are learning proper technique, gaining a true foundation, and will allow them to advance much faster. We start students as young as fourth grade and we require the shoes to be purchased from our boutique.
BROADWAY (MUSICAL THEATER)
- Broadway is a fun, upbeat, expressive, and exciting style of dance! This genre is a combination of acting and dancing. Our students will learn acting foundations and techniques as well as how to incorporate acting while dancing. Due to technique purposes, we require our students to take a jazz or ballet class. We start students as young as first grade and we require the shoes to be purchased from our boutique.
- Turns, leaps, and jumps is a technique based, non-performing class. This class focuses on the foundation of turns, jumps, and leap. All year long the students will focus on breaking moves down, learning proper technique, and growing/advancing their skills. Students who take this class will grasp the concept of all turns, leaps, and jumps. We start students as young as fourth grade and require them to be in a ballet or jazz class.
STRETCH AND STRENGTHEN
- Stretch and strengthen is a technique based, strength based, non-performing. This class breaks down and focuses on proper stretch and muscle growth. The goal of this class is to build flexibility and grow strength throughout the body. We start students as young as sixth grade and require some additional equipment.
BALLET TECHNIQUE PBT (PROGRESSING BALLET TECHNIQUE)
- Our dance instructors are certified in the program PBT. This class uses yoga balls, therabands, and other equipment to enhance and grow our students ballet technique. This is a technique based, non-performing class. Students who take this class grow exponentially in their all their classes! We require our students to take at least one ballet class a week in order to take this class so they can understand ballet vocabulary and positions. We start students as young as sixth grade and require some additional equipment.
- Illuminations is an extremely unique and amazing class that only APA offers. This class is for sixth graders and up and runs from November-May. Illuminations is a jazz-funk style of dance that is done in the dark while wearing LED suits! We require our students to be around 5 feet tall, in at least a ballet or jazz class, and have one previous year of light sticks.
- Opening number is an invite only class. This class is the very first act in our spring show and is a big deal to be invited!
bottom of page